Spending the weekend in Bordeaux with one of my best friends, another healthy Frenchie, was one of the most restful experiences I’ve had in a while. It definitely helps that I’m on holiday for the next few weeks (score!), but I think another reason is that my friend Laurène did almost all the cooking.
Don’t get me wrong, I love cooking, but it was nice to eat to someone else’s food for a while and take a step back from the stove. Especially when that someone else is as interested in healthy cooking and living as you are and prepares the most delicious recipes. This salad is mainly her creation, and came at exactly the right moment.
Indeed, on Sunday afternoon, Laurène and I went to a bikram yoga class (yoga in a room heated to 40°), which was both amazing and a KILLER! Afterwards, we were absolutely starving, hungry for something both filling and healthy. Laurène’s solution? Lentils, raw carrots and courgettes and a tangy, dijon mustard dressing. With, of course, a soft-boiled egg on top. Lentils are a good source of protein, finer and carbohydrates, which we really needed after that session, and keeping the vegetables raw added some much-needed freshness after that boiling class. Not only was it delicious, but it felt like the perfect post-workout meal.
150g tinned green or Puy lentils or 100g dry lentils
1 medium courgette, washed and peeled
2 medium carrot, washed and peeled
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
Apple cider vinegar
1. If using dry lentils, rinse and drain. Over medium high-heat, bring pot of water and lentils to the boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes. When tender, take of the heat, strain and set aside.
2. If using cooked, tinned lentils, drain water, rinse and set aside.
3. Using a vegetable peeler, make thin ribbons out of the courgette and carrots. This may take a little while, depending on how much you’re making, but make sure you keep the ribbons thin. Set aside.
4. In a pot, bring some water to the boil. Turn heat down and softly drop eggs in with a spoon. Set timer to four minutes to make soft-boiled eggs. When the time is up, take eggs out of the water with a slotted spoon and shell them. Set aside.
5. While eggs are cooking, make the dressing by mixing 1 tablespoon of dijon mustard with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper.
6. Place lentils into a large salad bowl with courgette and carrot ribbons and mix in the dressing. Plate salad in individual plates and top each portion with a soft-boiled egg.
7. Enjoy as is, or like me, with a slice of bread to soak up the yolk! Yum 🙂