I’ve realised in these past few weeks that my initial goal to post once a day was going to be a hard feat indeed – with a teaching job on the side and a plethora of personal goals to attain this year, there just isn’t enough time in the world to do everything at once.
HENCE, I will be reducing my posting habits to something a little bit more realistic – something closer to three-four times a week – so as to keep up with this wonderful hobby all the while getting everything else DONE and taking some time to go out there and live a little too.
Which is just what I did this weekend, of which we had a wonderful three days here in the UK. It wasn’t exactly restful, but it was definitely fun.
To start the week on a lovely high note, here’s my first meal of the week:
Black bean quesadillas with fresh salsa and zingy guacamole
Quesadillas will probably always be my go-to meal when I want to eat something quick, healthy and delicious – not only are they extremely filling, but they are easy to tweak and modify to fit whatever’s in your fridge or pantry.
These black bean quesadillas are a favorite vegetarian option of mine as they come with a lovely hit of protein and keep you going the entire afternoon. The salsa and guacamole are delicious additions, but if you want a real fill of veggies on the side, I suggest an easy side salad with a little cucumber, red onion, tomato and coriander.
For the black bean tortillas:
2 wholemeal tortillas
1/2 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
50g of cheese, such as cheddar or comté, grated
2 spring onion, finely sliced
Small handful of coriander, chopped
Salt and pepper
For the zingy salsa:
A few cherry tomatoes
1/4 lime wedge
For the spicy guacamole:
1/2 tsp red chilli, finely sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper
1. In a mixing bowl, add drained and rinsed black beans, grated cheese (I used cheddar), chopped coriander and sliced spring onion. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. To make the guacamole, spoon out the flesh from the 1/2 avocado into a bowl. Add approximately 1/2-1 tbsp of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, finely sliced red chilli, salt and pepper. Smash with a fork and set aside.
3. For the salsa, simply finely slice the cherry tomatoes (I used a mixture of red and yellow), add a squeeze of lime juice and salt.
4. Heat a pan over medium heat. In a plate, divide black bean mixture between the two tortillas and fold in half. Place on pan and cook for a few minutes on each side.
5. When done, serve with guacamole and salsa, and possibly a fresh side salad.