I’m not the biggest fan of smoked salmon in the world. It’s too much like raw salmon (in my mind) and I can usually enjoy one or two bites and then that’s me done.
Same with sushi, maki and sashimi. I can’t say I’m the bravest eater.
But in this salad? Mamma mia, it’s simply delicious. I’ll eat all the salmon you want in this salad. Especially during the summer, with a cool glass of rosé wine with grapefruit.
Smoked salmon, new potato and shallot salad
25g smoked salmon
2-3 new potatoes
1/4 to 1/2 avocado
A few handfuls of the salad of your choosing (I went for lamb’s lettuce, frisée lettuce and radicchio)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fill a pot with water and bring to the boil. When boiling, add new potatoes and boil for about ten minutes.
2. While these cook, prepare the remaining ingredients. Finely chop the shallot, cube the avocado, and toss them in a salad bowl with the salad leaves. Cut the smoked salmon into smaller pieces and add to the mix.
3. Take your potatoes out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon and place on chopping board. Place your egg in the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, chop the potatoes into cubes and add to the salad.
4. In a smaller bowl on the side, make a balsamic vinaigrette – 3/5 olive oil to 2/5 balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix vinaigrette in with the rest of the salad mix.
5. When your egg is done, peel off the shell and place into your salad.
Note: instead of using balsamic vinaigrette, you can also use crème fraiche, dill, salt and pepper to make a dressing.